Putting some dark chocolate into your breakfast might actually be a healthy idea:
When it comes to making breakfast, it's easy to go to the same recipe ideas time and time again. And while that might be fine, it's also good to change things up a bit and try some new ideas on for size. This list of 27 healthy breakfast ideas you can use today is just the place to start, and may just change the way you look at breakfast for good. And knowing that dark chocolate is on the list of healthy breakfast ideas makes the list that much better. The following are just some of the great ideas you will find on the list.
1. Add dark chocolate to your breakfast list. Dark chocolate is the best chocolate when it comes to healthy choices. Healthy dark chocolate with at least 70 percent cacao is a good choice when looking for the best chocolate. But you might wonder how you can add dark chocolate to your morning routine. For starters, you can shave some dark chocolate over a cup of nonfat yogurt and mix in. The calcium-rich yogurt is something that can help in your efforts to lose weight, while the dark chocolate is full of antioxidants that can help reduce the bad LDL cholesterol and keep your arteries more pliable. There are plenty of benefits to enjoying heathy dark chocolate from the vitamins and minerals in dark chocolate that may help support you. Dark Chocolate contains the vitamins and minerals of potassium, copper, magnesium, and iron. The copper and the potassium found in dark chocolate may help prevent against stroke and cardiovascular ailments. The iron found in dark chocolate may help to protect against iron deficiency anemia, and the magnesium in dark chocolate may help to prevent type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, along with heart disease.
2. Another favorite idea besides dark chocolate on the list is enjoying a bowl of sliced strawberries three times a week.
Strawberries are loaded with vitamin C and have numerous health benefits, one of them being protection for your eyes. Other health benefits from strawberries are that they have a wide variety of antioxidants, they are low in calories, and even have a low glycemic index (shown to better maintain steady blood sugar levels).
3. Drink three cups of unsweetened orange juice every morning. Orange juice has plenty of vitamin C, that not only boosts your immunity but also helps to improve your cholesterol levels. If three cups are too much for you in the morning, try substituting a couple of oranges. For the best effect, make the orange juice calcium-fortified.
4. Shop for vegetarian alternatives for your breakfast. You can enjoy alternatives such as soy bacon and soy sausage, soy crumbles or garden burgers which make great sources of protein for breakfast without the saturated fat of their meat counterparts.
5. Enjoy a bowl of sweetened brown rice. This easy to make breakfast is a good alternative to cream of wheat in the morning. Brown rice is full of energy-providing B vitamins, along with being a great source of filling dietary fiber. Cook the rice the night before, then in the morning, put it in a bowl with some honey, some raisins, a cut-up apple, and a splash of low-fat milk.
6. Sprinkle some blueberries on top of your breakfast cereal. Studies find the tiny purple fresh berries are loaded with plenty of antioxidants that can help to slow brain ageing and protect your memory.
These 27 healthy breakfast ideas you can use today can be found on the Readers Digest site. On the site, you will find everything from health, food, culture, advice and more. **
Learn MORE at Reader's Digest